In celebration of World MONOPOLY Day on the 19th of March, Hasbro has announced the winning tokens from the MONOPOLY Token Madness Vote. Fans across the globe have spoken, and the eight tokens set to “pass GO” in the next generation of the MONOPOLY game are the Scottie dog, top hat, car, battleship, cat, T-rex, rubber ducky, and penguin tokens.
The vote, which kicked off on the 10th of January and ran until the 31st of January, offered the public an opportunity to select their favourite eight tokens from 64 possible options. This monumental MONOPOLY campaign drew more than 4.3 million votes, empowering fans to make their mark on this iconic game.
The new, fan-picked lineup of MONOPOLY Tokens includes:
- Scottie Dog Token: The best friend of Mr. MONOPOLY since the 1950s, the Scottie Dog token proved its popularity by receiving the most votes – making it the overall first place winner.
- T-Rex Token: The mighty T-Rex token stomped its way into the new game, garnering the second most overall votes and making history as the first dinosaur token of Mr. MONOPOLY.
- Top Hat Token: Coming in third place in overall votes, the Top Hat token – a staple in the game since 1935 – will keep Mr. MONOPOLY looking dapper well into the future.
- Car Token: This 1930s roadster will continue fueling adrenaline rushes for Mr. MONOPOLY in the next generation of the game; coming in fourth place in overall votes.
- Rubber Ducky Token: Coming in fifth in overall votes, the new Rubber Ducky token is truly all its “quacked” up to be.
- Cat Token: Fans voted the Cat token into the game in 2013, and she clawed her way back in as one of the eight winning tokens, coming in sixth place in overall votes.
- Penguin Token: Waddling into the game in seventh place in overall votes, the Penguin token is the new style muse for Mr. MONOPOLY.
- Battleship Token: The beloved Battleship token represents the first round-the-world trip for Mr. MONOPOLY; securing the eighth spot in overall votes, this token’s legacy will cruise into the next generation of the game.
“The MONOPOLY Token Madness Vote was our biggest fan-powered program to date and we are proud that our iconic game was impacted by the people that feel most passionate about playing it. The next generation of tokens are a reflection of the times and represents the interests of our fans around the world,” said Siphiwe Thabethe, Marketing Manager for Hasbro South Africa.
While the Scottie dog, top hat, car, cat, and battleship tokens can breathe a sigh of relief, the iconic thimble, boot, and wheelbarrow tokens didn’t make the cut. Instead, they’re planning to take some time off and will not be part of the next generation of the MONOPOLY game.
- ‘Sew’ long, Thimble: The lucky Thimble token is down on its luck. With just over 81,000 votes, this token will be left out of the next generation of the game after more than 80 years.
- The Boot gets booted: Mr. MONOPOLY needs a new pair of kicks, because the once popular boot token – modeled after the working shoe of the 1930s – received just over 83,000 votes, and was ultimately booted from the game.
- Bye, bye Wheelbarrow: The wheelbarrow token, a staple in the game since the 1950s, will wheel no more. With just over 60,000 votes, this historic token was voted out of the next generation of the game.
The next generation of the MONOPOLY game will be available for purchase this August, but consumers don’t need to wait until then to get in on the MONOPOLY game play. Consumers can pick up the MONOPOLY Token Madness edition or localised MONOPOLY Mzansi edition at their nearest retailer.
MONOPOLY is the world’s favourite family game brand and is enjoyed by more than 1 billion players in 114 countries across the globe. MONOPOLY tokens have been a key element of the game since it was introduced in 1935.
Fans can visit https://www.facebook.com/MonopolySouthAfrica/ , @HasbroNews on Twitter and @Hasbro on Instagram (#MonopolyVote) to tip their top hats to say goodbye to the Thimble, Boot and Wheelbarrow tokens, and welcome the new tokens into the next generation of the game.