Recent findings indicate that smooth legs can reduce drag on a cyclist by as much as 7%. This is estimated to result in almost 80 seconds per hour for a high-speed rider, supporting the longstanding tradition of the cycling fraternity to keep legs smooth.
Other than improving aerodynamics, some cyclists agree that it makes practical sense to keep legs smooth to ease healing ‘road rash’ after a fall, while others advocate that it makes massaging sore muscles easier and more pleasant. Cyclists that do not offer practical reasons simply agree that smooth skin enhances muscular and lean legs, so it looks better than hairy ones.
Whatever the reason, if you are one of the thousands of cyclists who suffer from legs that are not as smooth as you would like them to be, or get frustrated with needing to shave regularly, you might still be left wondering which product will best suit your needs.
The Philips SatinSoft Epilator (HP6519) has a skin care system that protects the skin against pulling and maximises hygiene. It also comes with a sensitive area cap and exfoliating brush to make your epilation experience effortless.
Epilation has not been the most attractive product option in the past due to a fear of discomfort, however Philips Epilators have incorporated mechanisms to make epilation a pleasant experience like massaging heads and gentle tweezing discs. Some of the benefits to epilation include:
- No messy waxes or smelly hair removal products needed, and the epilator achieves the same outcome.
- No need to grow your leg hair long. The epilator functions as effectively with short hair.
- The hair is pulled out from the root leaving legs smooth and silky for weeks before hair grows back.
- No skin pulling occurs like with waxing, as an epilator glides along the surface of your skin.
- No more nicks and cuts or shaver rash from shaving with disposable razors, just smooth results.
Yet for some, shaving seems like the more convenient option. Benefits of using an electronic shaver include:
- Quick and easy shaving without the danger of sharp blades causing abrasions to the skin’s surface.
- Electric shavers are designed to follow the contours of your body, allowing for a smoother shaving result.
- Double foil shaving heads catch every hair, minimising irritation.
- Wireless functionality allows you to shave without power.
Philips Beauty’s hair removal range for women features a wet and dry combo, the Philips Double Contour Ladyshave Sensitive(HP6366), which offers a 5-in-1 shaver for perfect results every time.
The Philips Bodygroom Plus (BG2036) boasts a hypo-allergenic shaver and pearl tips that prevent skin irritation, while its extra-long handle makes it easier to shave your legs or back. The groomer is also 100% waterproof for use in the shower, and easy cleaning.
Although the motivation behind opting for smooth legs vary, shaving leg hair is common in the cycling world, both for professional cyclists and the more serious amateur riders, because part of being a cyclist is looking the part.
Happy silky, smooth cycling!